Wednesday, April 05, 2006

It is time...

After much deliberation and consideration, I have finally decided to enter the blog world. While I have wanted to make entries and comments for some time, I would refrain from starting an account, not wanting to get drawn into endless debate with individuals who would only be looking to argue.

Now that I am enlightened to the power of blogging, I have decided to make my foray into this electronic world of communication so that I might offer my thoughts on various issues as it relates to the church. I hope to provide some challenging entries and would welcome your comments (though they most likely will not get posted).

As a prelude, I would like to say that my study in Romans has been most challenging in light of the mercies of God that have been presented through the first 11 chapters. As we have just introduced Romans 12, it looks like we will be studying the first two verses for some time, especially addressing the issue of what it means to offer up our lives as living sacrifices to God in worship. It has been very convicting as well as exhilarating to consider the truth that because of God's mercies, I have been granted the high calling of offering up my life daily as a living sacrifice to God, a sacrifice that is to be holy and acceptable to God which should exhibit itself in every aspect of life being an act of worship to God.

What amazes me is how much the church has sold out to the world and in fact has become more and more conformed to the spirit of the postmodern age. While we are not called to be ignorant of the culture around us, we are not meant to conform to the world (Romans 12:2). We are called to be transformed by the renewing of our mind, which should take place by the regular intake of God's Word through the illumining work of the Holy Spirit, which should be sufficient to teach us, reprove us, correct us, and train us in righteousness that we might be adequate and equipped for every good work (2 Timothy 3:16-17).

Lighthouse Bible Church is committed to shining the light of God's truth AND love - never are the two to be separated. We are challenged to communicate the truth IN love (Ephesians 4:15) so that we are not simply stating cold orthodoxy but with the intention of winning people to seek first God's kingdom and righteousness in every area of life (Matthew 6:33). So let us take a firm stand on both speaking the truth in love and loving people in the truth.

Tomorrow - we get it on!!

No comments: