Friday, June 15, 2007

The Grace of God Magnified

I was reading through John 1 last night before going to bed and it was such an encouragement to me. It's not always like this, but there are times when reading from the Word is like having a tall, cold glass of ice water on a hot summer day. The refreshment from reading the Bible last night was like that. The verse that arrested me was John 1:16, "For of His fullness we have all received, and grace upon grace." The fullness is probably referring back to vs. 14, "...and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth." As Christ is full of grace and truth, we reap the full benefit of it -- kai charin anti charitos, "and grace upon grace." The anti, preposition was used in that day to describe exchanges made in sale purchases. The thought is that in exchange for grace we receive more grace! What an amazing statement of the abundant grace of God! This is particularly amazing in consideration of my own sinfulness. I don't give God a reason to shower grace on me. It is completely in spite of my failures that He is gracious! Even as an unbeliever, He showed me the common grace that He gives to all men (e.g. good health, education, family, friends, food, etc.). But now as a believer, I have exchanged that common grace for even greater grace in Jesus Christ. There is unending blessing in living for the Lord. Truly as the psalmist writes, with the Lord as my shepherd "my cup overflows" (Ps. 23:5).

No comments: