Friday, August 24, 2007

Models of Morality?

I find it kind of amusing that more and more entertainers, whether movie actors or singers, are speaking out against the government and speaking up for various moral issues. Since when did these celebrities become our spokespeople and models of morality? I overheard a song on the radio by the singer Pink entitled, "Dear Mr. President." The lyrics of the song basically question the president and call him out on various issues such as war, homelessness, and homosexuality. The accusation is that the president arrogantly has things all wrong and that everyone else can quite clearly see what he can't. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the president's policies and actions, the question that came to my mind was, "Is Pink really the best spokesperson to speak out on issues of morality?"

I understand that celebrities have their public platform and can use that platform to speak out when they are upset at the president or the government. I appreciate that we live in a country where its citizens can speak out against the president without threat of persecution. I also understand that people are entitled to their own opinions on political and moral issues. I just wonder if people give much credence to consistency. A lot of people overlook that these celebrities seem to pick and choose when morality is a big deal. It seems that even though their personal lives might be disasters morally, the general public accepts what they say when they hold the government accountable for its actions. I'm not saying they are all this way. I'm not even saying that everything they are saying is out to lunch. I just find it amusing that some of these celebrities point the finger at another person and say that he should be ashamed of himself.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

On the fipside, I've been listening to a rap song from NIck Canon called "Can I Live?" about his mother's decision to not abort her child. Standing alone, it's a great song with a poignant message. But what you said about giving credence to consistency is definitely worth dwelling on. I immediately think of his show on MTV, and moments that aren't the best representations of Christ.
It's definitely a challenge to me too. Not that I'm famous, but the importance of consistency in all facets of life for our words to hold water.

Pastor Patrick said...

I've actually seen Nick Canon's show (sorry to admit it). Certainly my point is not to simply cast judgment without any thought of my own failures and inconsistencies. However, it would be good for people to open their eyes, look around, and see who is really leading the way in speaking up on these moral issues. Thanks for the comment, Steven. I think you're my first commenter. =) ~P