Saturday, January 10, 2009

Consider It All Joy

James 1:2 has long been instilled in my head and heart as a verse to keep in mind, particularly when things get difficult. But it is not easy to actually apply as the reality of life often overshadows the truth of God's Word and it is easy to dismiss Scripture as impractical. But I am thankful that despite how I might feel about this, the truthfulness and the trustworthiness of the Scriptures remains constant due to the fact that God's Word is inextricably tied to God's character and nature.

But to consider it all joy when various trials are encountered - this is something easy to tell someone else but it is a whole other story when it comes to me. Next to the spiritual battles that have been waged over the years, the next most challenging thing has been the trials of my physical health. The past few weeks were indeed filled with some minor issues, a bad cough, a cold (it is the cold season), and an allergic reaction to my blood pressure medication that caused me to go visit the hospital. This past week I was introduced to a pain that I had not had before, that of diverticulitis. At first my doctor thought it might be appendicitis and I was bracing myself for surgery. While I understand it to be a common procedure that many undergo, nothing seems to be common to me. But after a battery of tests, I was finally diagnosed and was given a number of medications to take, which my wife Angela promptly took care of getting for me. By the evening time after having taken the first dose of the antibiotics, I started to get an allergic reaction and I knew that it had to be because of the medications. So off I went back to the hospital and was given additional medication as well as a switch on the antibiotics. So here I am in bed now not being able to do much since I end up getting drowsy from both the painkillers (I was in a lot of pain in my lower abdomen due to the inflammation in my colon as well as my lower back) and the antihistimine (for the allergic reaction). I have anti-nausea medication to combat the nausea that comes from the other medications. I see why pharmicists have a job now - they need to know how everything works together. So now I understand why doctors keep asking if you allergic to medications - it is not helpful to take medications that cause your body to do crazy things. So I am thankful to be alive because I know it is only by the mercies of God that I am.

So the past year has been filled with so many visits to the hospital that I feel like I am really getting to know the place well. Drawing blood is like second nature. Getting hooked up to iv's and being subjected to swallowing all sorts of strange concoctions so that I can get scanned is old hat. But one thing I do know, I am able to truly say that it is causing me to appreciate all the more those who have suffered for the sake of Christ in ways that are unimaginable. As the end of Hebrews 11 shares, there were many who suffered horrendous deaths for the sake of Christ. If you have ever read J.C. Ryle's work on the martyrs of the English Reformation, "Light from Old Times" or Foxe's Book of Martyrs, you will see that today's sufferings for those of us who live in southern California don't even compare to those who willingly laid down their lives for the One whom they loved more than life itself. So I am thankful that my measly sufferings, as small as they might be, cause me to look forward and to press onward with endurance so as to run the race that Christ has called us to run.

At the same time I would ask for your prayers that I would be patient with the recovery time, that I would be diligent though I am dazed by the effects of all the medication I am taking, and that I would continue to experience joy in light of my Savior's love.

Thank you for those who have been praying. I am so thankful.

No comments: