Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy Thanksgiving!

I know it's a little bit late, but I still thought it would be good to reflect on some things I am thankful for:

1. Salvation. I know this is the default #1 item on almost every believer's list, but it still shouldn't be overlooked or trivialized. Every time I think about the kind of sinner I am and the kind of God He is, it amazes me that He would desire to know me and for me to know Him. I bring nothing to the table. I have nothing to offer. He gives it all and accomplishes everything for me to be counted righteous before Him. All this was done by Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Amazing love!

2. Family. Christine and I have been married over four years now and have seen Eden grow through her first year of life. I'm thankful that I still have vivid memories of the day Christine and I were married (especially after hearing from so many who don't remember their wedding day at all because of how busy it was). I remember the day Eden was born and how weird it was to think I was a dad. I'm extremely thankful for it all.

3. Church. Lighthouse is the best church I have ever attended! I'm thankful for the relationships we have in our pastoral team and elders. I'm thankful for loving members who encourage and support their leadership and are eager to grow in their relationships with Christ. I'm also thankful that we have a congregation that believes in the MVP and is excited to see the Vision put to action! (Go San Jose!)

4. Friends. I'm thankful for God-centered friendships that I have been able to cultivate over the years. For many of these relationships, we don't have to stay in touch often. We just pick up where we left off even if it has been months since our last conversation. Good friends are oftentimes hard to find. I'm so thankful for the ones I have. I'm especially thankful that they are believers and we have the hope of spending time together for eternity in the pursuit of knowing God more. I'm also thankful that I have friends who are not afraid to say the hard word and are comfortable enough with me lovingly to tell me when I am wrong.

5. God's Kind Patience. Even though I know that God has saved me, I still continue to do the things that God needed to save me from. I know that I will be a lifelong project, but sometimes I wonder if God is thinking I'm taking much longer to grow than I should. Praise God for His steadfast love and patience toward me. If my salvation was not secure in Him, I would have no hope.

There's so much more I am thankful for, but these are the first five things that came to mind. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends! Remember that the good things we enjoy come from the hand of our loving God. Give praise continuously to Him!

No comments: