Thursday, March 29, 2007

Reading Good Books Part 1

As it has been quite some time since I have made entries for this blog, I read over some of the past entries and saw that Pastor Patrick had given a list of favorite books that impacted his life. He mentioned that I would do the same at some point so I am going to try and catch up a bit by naming some of the books that have impacted my life.

1. The Cost of Discipleship, by Dietrich Bonhoeffer. I first read this in high school and it challenged me immensely to the whole idea of what it meant to follow Jesus. I recently read a new translation of it with some college guys and I was again impacted by the depth of commitment that Bonhoeffer not only wrote about but lived out in his own life, even to the point of martyrdom. While Bonhoeffer's theology in other areas might be a bit questionable, this is one area where he was very clear and to the point. Discipleship means that you follow Jesus. This is not optional, this is what it means to be a Christian. If you don't genuinely follow Jesus, then what are you?

2. Disciplines of a Godly Man, by R. Kent Hughes. I remember using this book when it first came out and it has become a staple in recommending to men in discipling relationships. Hughes writes in such a clear and straightforward manner that is both warm and yet hard-hitting in calling for application.

3. Found God's Will, by John MacArthur. This little book has provided a simple foundation of determining God's will - Are you saved? Are you Spirit-filled? Are you sanctified? Are you saying thanks? Are you submissive? Are you suffering? Then step forward as you will be in the path of God's will as you live a life that is focused on His purposes and glory.

4. How to Interpret the Bible for Yourself, by Richard Mayhue. This simple approach to hermeneutics has been another staple of ministry in helping people learn what it means to dig a little deeper into God's Word and mine the riches that are to be found when you go beyond the surface.

5. The Peacemaker, by Ken Sande. I still remember the first time I heard him speak at a conference on managing conflict in the church. It was the first time I had heard anyone address the issue of conflict management from a biblical perspective and I was overwhelmed with how crucial an issue it is, not only in church, but in any relational context. It was so life-changing that it was one of the first books that we went through here at Lighthouse for discipleship. The four principles of the Peacemaker's Pledge are still a part of our membership commitment: Glorify God, Get the log out of your own eye, Gently confront, and Go and be reconciled.

6. Jonathan Edwards: A Life, by George Marsden. After taking a seminar with Dr. John Hannah of Dallas Seminary this past winterim at The Master's Seminary, I was inspired to read what had initially been a difficult read but now I would have to say has been a challenging and inspirational story of a man who although was flawed like any other human, had to be the most God-entranced individual that I have ever read about. If I were to follow his footsteps for even a small portion of the path that he trod, I would be a hundred times more the man than I am now.

7. The Gospel According to Jesus, by John MacArthur. As I shared with the FOF 2 class a few weeks ago, this was a very real life issue for me while I was in college and was faced with a very significant group of people at the fraternity that took a "no-lordship" view and was quite militant in expressing their views, even to the point of calling me a heretic! I remember going to my college pastor, Chris Mueller, and he was able to secure for me a pre-release draft of the first chapter that John MacArthur was writing and I was incredibly encouraged, both by my college pastor's overwhelming support and in knowing that my senior pastor was going to address it in a major league way. I have never forgotten the trials that I went through at that time but the lessons that I learned have reinforced the message of the gospel - to be a genuine Christian means that you love and follow Jesus, having repented of your sin and embraced Christ in faith by trusting Him as Lord and Savior. Your works don't save you, your faith doesn't save you. It's God that saves you. And if Jesus Christ truly reigns as Lord in your life, you'll follow Him, not perfectly, but lovingly and humbly.

There are a number of biographies that I will add later but for those who are looking for a good entry level set of biographical sketches, I would highly recommend John Piper's set "The Swans Are Not Silent", of which there are four very worthy trios of biographies given: 1) The Legacy of Sovereign Joy: God's Triumphant Grace in the lives of Augustine, Martin Luther, and John Calvin; 2) The Hidden Smile of God: The Fruit of Affliction in the lives of John Bunyan, William Cowper, and David Brainerd; 3) The Roots of Endurance: Invincible Perserverance in the lives of John Newton, Charles Simeon, and William Wilberforce; 4) Contending for Our All: Defending Truth and Treasuring Christ in the lives of Athanasius, John Owen, J. Gresham Machen.

There are many more books that I have found to be significant reads and I'll probably update this particular theme a number of times as I have a chance to sift through my library and remember what books were standouts. But one thing is for sure - I do appreciate good books that have challenged me to consider how I might live for God's glory. Stop spending so much time watching "Lost," "American Idol," "24" and whatever else shows how lost your hours are in worshipping false gods. Read some good books and enrich your soul. =)

No comments: