Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Contributing to the Needs of the Saints

This past weekend was a rollercoaster ride! I can't help but be affected by collisions with the Korean culture that really cause me to wonder, "Why?" Why must culture come in front of people? When did culture become god? I understand the reality of culture and that there are distinctives between each culture but when you come to know Christ, there is no longer Jew or Gentile (or Korean or American for that matter). It is Christ that we identify with, not that Christ identifies with our cultural identity. For those who know me, you will understand that after a couple of decades of frustration, I have become quite pessimistic now about any kind of redeeming value to be found in Korean churches.

I know that that is too much of a categorical statement but I have found the number of sound, God-honoring, biblical churches to be miniscule, especially when you consider the inordinate amount of churches for such a small immigrant community. Don't get me wrong. I love my heritage. I love Korean food. I love the fact that I have some unique history in my background that I can appreciate and share with others. But these things are all superseded by the Kingdom of God. I am no longer a citizen of this world but an alien, a stranger. The family of God, the church, those who have been called to be saints, these are the ones that I now identify with in identifying with Christ.

Romans 12:13 has been lived out by a generation that many in the first generation have called "selfish, stingy, spoiled, self-serving, unappreciative, and disrespectful." I have found those who make up Lighthouse to be selfless, generous, giving servants who have shown tremendous love and care through their kindness and mercy through prayers, notes, and food. They even offer to help drive the kids, take care of the kids, and be helpful in any way possible. I cannot help but think how ironic it is that a generation that has been accused of giving so little is now starting to respond to the call to be not only receivers but contributers to the needs of the saints.

Thank you! I just have to say thanks to the many who have brought tremendous encouragement through your thoughtfulness, your willingness to serve, your hearts of compassion, and your continued faithfulness to display the love of Christ in such visible ways. Angela and I are so blessed, as are our children, who are overwhelmingly loved by you.

I praise God that you are simply obeying Him out of a genuine love for Him. This is revealed in your love for the saints. By this the world can see that you are followers of Jesus, that you are disciples of the One who lived and died and rose again, so that we might no longer live for ourselves but for Him.

May your contributions continue to flow generously to all!!

No comments: