Wednesday, April 18, 2007

O Ye of Little Faith

I have to confess that I had very low expectations for tonight's Wednesday Night Bible Study. Response was very low (was I too vague in asking for a response for handout copying purposes?) and I was particularly kind of just sad about the response from the married folks, for whom the WBS was particularly provided as there is no regular fellowship other than the twice a month GraceLife, which some have already missed a meeting, which means a month goes by before you spend time again =(. But several families, or representatives of families came so there was at least some representation.

But I was greatly encouraged because those that I did not expect to come, namely collegians and singles, who already have Friday night Bible studies, came out tonight and I was actually kind of surprised to see as many that came out. I was expecting no more than 15-20 people so with some measure of hope I made 30 copies just in case a few more happen to come out.

So that's why I titled this "O Ye of Little Faith." I have to admit, as much as I want to have vision for ministry and hope that people would respond, I guess I am a pessimist at heart, hoping for the best, expecting the worst, that way I don't get too disappointed. But it's not even so much about the numbers, it was really the encouragement by the attitudes of those who came. Not that I got a chance to talk to many people tonight, but several came straight from class, some straight from work, one was on the way to work right after we were done, and so it was with much encouragement that I came away from tonight, just knowing that some were willing to make the extra effort, even after a long day of work or class, even though there is another Bible study to go to the next evening, and the next. Even though there maybe wasn't a lot of bells and whistles. Just looking forward to studying the Scriptures.

So in the spirit of Martin Lloyd-Jones, I salute those of you who came out tonight with a desire to grow. We'll see who will persevere and actually do the hard work of studying the Scriptures with the intention to see transformation, a la Romans 12:2, but I am hopeful.

Just one more challenge to the marrieds - don't be deadbeat members =)

1 John 5:21
Little children, guard yourselves from idols.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The bible study on Wednesday really showed me the importance in comming prepared. I learned that it is not the one who leads it have to be prepared but also the learners. By comming more prepared (reading the book 2x's/ praying/ intetions-heart)really made the study more effective. Also, I learned the importance of really saturating the scripture. And reading it over and over again because it really is that deep and meaningful. each read and study every time brings new wisdom and light. Thanks for study, Pastor John. I'm glad you started it. See you next week !