Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Oh, For the Love of Sports!

In a tough road to the NCAA Final, the Florida Gators topped the Ohio State Buckeyes 84-75 in the men’s basketball tournament. Certainly this was a favorable outcome for me since I was in last place the entire tournament in our bracket competition until the final three games, and I predicted Florida would beat Ohio State in the final.

But I suppose the big question that arises out of it all is: Who cares? A week from now, hardly anyone will be talking about the NCAA basketball tournament. I’m sure the players and coaches will bask in their accomplishment for a while. Perhaps there will even be an ESPN documentary made for the Gators. And I’m sure there will be conversations about how the Gators rank amongst the all-time great teams. But in the end, it’s just a season of basketball come to an end. Sports fans will turn their attention to baseball and Barry Bonds’ chase for the homerun title, or some other item in the sporting world.

Praise God that the Christian life is more than anticipating short-lived excitements. There is a lasting hope and joy found in Christ that even the most exciting events of the world cannot compare with. The hymns portray this hope very well:

What a wonderful redemption! Never can a mortal know
How my sin, tho’ red like crimson, Can be whiter than the snow.
All that thrills my soul is Jesus, He is more than life to me;
And the fairest of ten thousand In my blessed Lord I see.

Or...

Ev'ry joy or trial Falleth from above,
Traced upon our dial By the sun of love;
We may trust Him fully All for us to do-
They who trust Him wholly Find Him wholly true.

Stayed upon Jehovah, Hearts are fully blest-
Finding as He promised, Perfect peace and rest.

No comments: